Eminem Addresses his 2007 Overdose at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony!
- Eminem was inducted at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on Saturday night.
- The rapper shared his overdose struggle story upon receiving the honor.
- The rapper said that he nearly lost his life because of his overdose.
Eminem almost died of an overdose in 2007
Eminem recently got inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame on Saturday night. While it was his turn to give a gratitude speech, the 50-year-old rapper asked his daughter Hailie Jade Mathers to block her ears. It was because he was going to talk about his addiction struggles.
The Real Slim Shady singer confessed that his addiction reached a peak in 2007.
The rapper started his speech by saying:
“I realize what an honor it is right now to be here up here tonight, and what a privilege it is to do the music that I love,”
“Music basically saved my life … I’ll keep this as painless as possible. I’m f–king stuttering and s–t. I’m probably not supposed to actually be here tonight because of a couple of reasons.”
The Venom star, whose birth name is Marshall Mathers was inducted by his friend and collaborator, Dr. Dre at the 2022 ceremony which was held in LA.
The singer got emotional as he continued his speech in front of his 26-year-old daughter, whom he shares with his ex Kim Scott. He continued:
“I almost died from an overdose in 2007, which kind of sucked,”
“Hailie, plug your ears. Because drugs were f–king delicious. I thought we had a good thing going on, but I had to go and f–k it all up. Goddamn.”
Right after that, the camera panned its attention to his daughter who was listening to her daddy’s speech.
The rapper is now sober for 14 years
The rapper went on to say:
“Hold on, I lost my motherf—ing spot. Paul, did I say, I said drugs were delicious, right? And finally, I had to really fight my way through man to try and break through in this music, and I’m so honored and I’m so grateful that I’m even able to be up here doing hip-hip music, man, because I love it so much.”
Nem has always been very vocal about his addiction to Vicodin, Valium, Ambien, and methadone. It all started when he began filming his semi-autobiographical 2002 flick 8 Mile.
In a 2011 interview with The Rolling Stone, the singer confessed:
“We were doing 16 hours on the set and you had a certain window where you had to sleep. One day somebody gave me an Ambien, and it knocked me the f–k out. I was like, ‘I need this all the time,’”
Also in an interview with the New York Times, he once said that he used to get pills wherever he could and was taking anything that anybody gave him.
In 2007, he was 230 pounds which he recalled:
“When I got out of rehab, I needed to lose weight, but I also needed to figure out a way to function sober,”
The star had trouble sleeping so he started running and doing more exercise which started doing him good. In 2018, he celebrated 10 years of sobriety.