Facts of Julie Mehretu
|Birth Date:||, 1970|
|Full Name:||Julie Mehretu|
|Birth Place:||Addis Ababa, Ethiopia|
|Profession:||American Painter or contemporary visual artist|
|Father's Name:||Assefa Mehretu|
|Mother's Name:||Doree Mehretu|
|Education:||Rhode Island School of Design|
|View more / View fewer Facts of Julie Mehretu|
Relationship Statistics of Julie Mehretu
|What is Julie Mehretu marital status ? (single, married, in relation or divorce):||Married|
|How many children does Julie Mehretu have ? (name):||Two (Cade and Haile)|
|Is Julie Mehretu having any relationship affair ?:||No|
|Is Julie Mehretu lesbian ?:||Yes|
|Who is Julie Mehretu husband ? (name):||Jessica Rankin|
More about the relationship
Julie Mehretu is a lesbian. During her high school, she came out to her friends as gay but she didn’t come out to her parents until her college years.
She married Jessica Rankin who is an Australian. She is also a painter. The couple met for the first time in 2000. The pair together also has an apartment in Berlin.
The couple has also two sons named Cade (born in 2005) and Haile (born in 2011).
Who is Julie Mehretu?
Julie Mehretu is renowned as an American contemporary visual artist. She is best known for her work multi-layered paintings of abstracted landscapes on a large scale.
Lately, she listed in Time magazine’s 100 most influential people of 2020.
Julie Mehretu: Age, Family, Siblings, Ethnicity, Education
Julie was born in the year 1970 but her birth month and date are still hasn’t disclosed. The birthplace of Mehretu is in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. She holds an American nationality and belongs to Ethiopian-American ethnicity.
Mehretu was born to her father named Assefa Mehretua and her mother named Doree Mehretu. Her father is an Ethiopian college professor of geography whereas her mother is an American Montessori teacher.
However, she has never mentioned his siblings in the media. In 1977, she immigrated to East Lansing, Michigan, with her parents to escape political turmoil.
Mehretu studied at East Lansing High School and she then completed her bachelor’s from Kalamazoo College in Kalamazoo, Michigan in Arts.
She did a junior year abroad at Cheikh Anta Diop University (UCAD) in Dakar, Senegal. In 1997, she earned a Master’s degree in Fine Arts from the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence, Rhode Island.
Julie Mehretu: Professional Life, Career
- In 1999, she moved to New York to pursue her painting career and take participate in the exhibition Painting at the Edge of the World at the Walker Art Center in 2001.
- From 2004 to 2005, her work was exhibited in Carnegie International: A Final Look.
- She has participated in numerous group exhibitions such as the Center for Curatorial Studies, Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, Studio Museum in Harlem, White Cube gallery in London, and more.
- In 2007, she received her first big break in her career when she accepted a large-scale painting for Goldman Sachs’s new headquarters at the World Financial Center.
- Also, she has worked on loan at the U.S. Embassy in Madrid and at the Ambassador’s residence in London.
- She has exhibited internationally too. In 2019, she made her solo exhibition in the UK in which she showed smaller prints and drawings as opposed to monumental paintings.
- She has her own studio with her partner, Jessica Rankin.
Awards & Nomination
- Mehretu was awarded a grant from the Foundation for Contemporary Arts Grants to Artists Award in 2000.
- In 2001, she received a Penny McCall Award.
- On September 20, 2005, she referred to as the ‘genius grant’ and named as one of the 2005 MacArthur Fellowship.
- Similarly, she received the US Department of State Medal of Arts from Secretary of State John Kerry in 2015.
Julie Mehretu: Net Worth, Salary
In 2013, her painting, ‘Retopistics: A Renegade Excavation’ commanded $4.6 million at a Christie’s auction, ranking her among the top ten most expensive living female artists.
Likewise, she sold her painting Untitled 1 for $1.02 million at Sotheby’s in September 2010. As per 2014, its estimated value has been in the range of $600 to $800,000 at Art Basel.
She might have earned a handsome amount of fortune from her successful career as a painter. But she hasn’t yet revealed her exact net worth, yearly income, and real estate.
Body Measurement: Height, Weight
Mehretu has a brown pair of eyes and brown hair as well. Furthermore, her body measurement including her height, weight, and other physics are still under the curtain at the moment.
Julie is active on Instagram with more than 8.1k followers where she has only uploaded one post to date. Likely, she has more than 4.6k followers on her Twitter account.
However, she is not available on Facebook.
- As of 2021, she is 51 years old.
- Currently, she resides in New York.
- Her father-in-law is also a successful artist David Rankin whereas her mother-in-law was port and playwright, Jennifer Rankin.