The most-talked about fashion event-The Fashion Week! Find 11 lesser-known facts about these global shows!
Fashion Week is an event held by the fashion industry about which we hear and read so much about. We also watch them on the television. The show appears to be a great affair which provides an opportunity to fashion designers, brands, and huge ‘fashion houses’ to put on display their latest collections to the buyers and the media. These events influence and are taken as trend-setters.
But there are some amazing facts related to these shows that are not known to its fans and the viewers! Let us go through them and I am sure you would be surprised by them!
- The origin-It is believed that the fashion week originated in Paris. But the truth is that it was New York which first held the show. The concept was definitely laid down in Paris where clothes marketers would hire females to wear their designer clothes and go to public places. In 1903, Ehrich Brothers, New York, put up a ‘fashion show’ to lure middle-class women. In 1943, the first ever NY Fashion Week was held.
It used to occur in hotels or lofts. The crowds became overwhelming and in 1993, the Council of Fashion designers of America started having the show at Bryant Park behind the NY Public Library. From 2010 to 2015, it was held in Lincoln Center which later moved to Clarkson Square, South Hollywood.
- Though NY, London, Paris, and Milan are the 4 main venues, it is held in more than 40 locations around the world. Los Angeles, Beirut, Berlin, Rome, Madrid, Sao Paulo, Shanghai, Sibiu, Tokyo, Miami, Boston, Chicago, Charleston etc. also hold this event.
- It is held twice a year.
- The show preparations start months in advance, there is a lot of hair and makeup to be done before the catwalk. But the show lasts for only 10-20 minutes.
- The non-celebrity models who participate to walk the runway are not paid enough. They get only a few hundred dollars for one show. The beginner models walk the ramp only for exposure. This holds true mainly for the NY shows. Those who get the most money are the high profile models and in London, Paris, and Milan. This is one of the events where female models are paid two times their male counterparts.
- What we see of Fashion Weeks on TV are models walking the runway. But runways are not common at all fashion weeks. At some venues, models are made to just stand on pedestals. People walk around, chat and take pictures.
- The top fashion designers and brands do not attend the NY Fashion weeks. These are mostly in Milan, Paris, and London.
- The shows are held all over the NY City, besides the one at the main center.
- Fashion Week is only about clothing and their styles. Shoes and fashion accessories are not part of this show.
- There are no tickets sold for most of these events. One can enter only if you have some connection to the industry.
- The after parties are the best part of the Fashion Week and most enjoyed by the participants and people.