Which is your favorite Game from Squid Game? Would you play any?
Spoiler Alertt! Who does not love a good survival drama! (at least I do)!!!
Written by Hwang Dong-Hyuk Netflix survival drama TV series Squid Game is gaining huge popularity worldwide. It is safe to say that this thrilling drama with an IMDB rating of 8.3 as of writing this article is a massive hit.
What is the Squid Game about?
Squid Game released on 17th September 2021 is a South Korean series where a group of 456 people with financial problems and heavily in debt are invited to play a series of children’s games. The prize money was allotted to ₩45.6 billion which is around $38.7 million USD.
Main Characters of the Squid Game
The brilliant team of Squid Games will be on your head for the longest time. Here’s the list of the main ones.
- Seong Gi-hun (Player no. 456) – The main character of the show played by Lee Jung-jae is struggling financially and leaves with his mother. He wants to take care of his daughter by being financially stable.
- Cho Sang-woo (Player no. 218) – Played by Park Hae-soo is junior to Gi-hun who enrolled in the Seoul National University. Being in a huge financial problem and was on a wanted list for stealing money from his clients.
- Kang Sae-byeok (Player on. 067) – Portrayed by Jung Ho-yeon entered the Game to pay for the broker to rescue her mother across the border.
More cast members
- Oh II-nam (Player no. 001): Played by O Yeong-su is the elderly character of the series who has a brain tumor waiting to die. He enrolls in the game instead of waiting for his life to end.
- Jang Deok-su (Player no. 101): Heo Sung-tae played the role of a gangster who entered the game to settle his massive gambling debts.
- Abdul Ali (Player no. 199): Anupam Tripathi is an Indian-born South Korean actor who played the role of a foreign worker from Pakistan to provide for his family as his employer refuses to pay him for months.
- Han Mi-nyeo (player no. 212): Kim Joo-ryoung played the role of a mysterious and manipulative woman who claimed to be a single mother.
- Hwang Jun-ho (police officer): Wi Ha-joon played the character of a police officer who went to the Game to find his missing brother.
What are the six games played in the TV series?
Squid Game is based on the children’s game played by the kids of South Korea. There are a total of six games played during the different levels of the game.
1) Red Light Green Light: This is one of the popular children’s games. When the host of the game shouts ‘Green Light’ everyone moves towards the finish line but when they shout ‘Red Light’ everyone must stop and will have to remain in a still position. Anyone who is caught moving must go back to the straight line again.
The twist in the series is that the players are killed if they are seen moving during ‘Red Light’.
2) Honeycomb: In the next game, the players are asked to choose a shape from the circle, triangle, star, and umbrella. Next, they are asked to cut out the shape without breaking it. Those who break the shape are killed.
3) Tug of War: Another popular game – tug of war is used in the series where they are asked to form a group of 10 people. They are made to pull the rope and the losing team will fall to death.
4) Marble games: In this game, the contestants are asked to choose their pair and are led to an ally similar to their home where they are asked to play any game of their choice with marble. The one who loses is killed.
5) Crossing a bridge: The players are asked to choose a number from 1 to 16 where they are told to cross the bridge in the order of their number. Two bridges are made having two glasses one of which is tempered glass. The one who steps on the tempered glass falls to death.
More on the games
6) Squid Game: Squid Game is played for the final round of the competition. One plays on the offensive and another plays on the defensive. Also, the shape is made into a squid shape where the players in two groups play. As per the into of the series Seong Gi-hun explained,
“The rules are simple. Children are divided into two groups: the offense and the defense. Once the game starts, the defense can run around on two feet within bounds, while the offense outside the line is only allowed to hop on one foot. But if an attacker cuts through the waist of the squid outpacing the defense, he or she is given the freedom to walk freely on two feet. For whatever reason, we called that the secret inspector.
Likewise, he added,
“After preparing for the final battle, the attackers gather at the entrance of the squid. In order to win, the attackers must tap the small closed-off space on the squid’s head with their foot. If the defender pushes you out of the squid’s line, you die. That’s right. You die. Once you take the winning tap, you yell out, “Hurray.”